"A State of Constant Elevation"

HEY! Thanks for visiting but...I don't post here any more.

Check out Duncan Nuggets®: The Resource Center For Competitive Advantage

Inside the Mind of Alicia English


I spend a lot of time challenging young people; challenging them to grow; challenging them to elevate their thinking. Recently, a young lady turned the tables on me.


I was just beginning a session on the power of networking when Alicia English—a senior marketing major at Alabama A&M University and President of Phi Beta Lambda Business Fraternity, Inc.—walked in. All of the students were paired up and were preparing to play my networking game.


As the students began to play I introduced myself to Alicia and told her what the other students were doing. She was eager to play but she didn’t have a partner. So what does she do? She walks right up to the front of the room and says, “I’m your partner, Mr. Duncan. Let’s see how well you do at your own game.”


What nerve. But of course, a brother had to represent. So I accepted. Alicia has excellent networking skills. She was great at the game. What about me?


We’ll talk about that in a second. So, let’s find out what’s inside the mind of this powerful young lady.


Al “The Inspiration” Duncan: We had a funny first meeting, huh?


Alicia English: Yeah, that was fun! I had a lot of fun. I walked out of the room and when I came back I didn’t have anybody so I picked you. And you tried to get out of it.


AD: I was teaching.


AE: Yeah, but you can’t ask us to play if you can’t. You can’t teach us to do something that you can’t do. You have to test your own knowledge.


AD: True. That’s why I stepped up. And I wasn’t perfect, but I beat all the students! I know my stuff.


AE: (Laughter)


AD: One of the first things I noticed about you is how energetic you are and when I asked you about doing this interview you emailed me back and said, “You know what Al, I would love to do it but I’m going to be real busy. This is my senior year. I’m trying to stay as busy as possible. So I’m not sure if I’ll have time.”


AE: Yes, sir, I remember.


AD: So, obviously you love to stay busy, which I find to interesting because so many young people that I meet are trying to get out of work and here you are looking for more ways to pack your schedule. Why? Why is that? Why is it so important for you to stay busy and active?


AE: Well, one thing that Monster’s DLP [Diversity Leadership Program] opened my eyes to is that it’s really competitive out there. The competition is stiff. And I feel like I’m already ten steps behind everybody else. I just did my first summer internship this year.


AD: As a rising senior?!


AE: Yeah, just this past summer.



"Well, I’m just the type that believes that you have to think about somebody else before you think about yourself. It doesn’t make sense to put somebody down just for you to get ahead."



AD: Why?


AE: I was an athlete when I first came to college. For my first two years I spent all of my time, all of my summer in the weight room or on the volleyball court. I really didn’t get a chance to go to conferences and things like that my freshman and sophomore year. My mind was still on sports. So, for my last two years I said I’m going to give that up and I’m going to focus on my career. I’m going to focus and do whatever it takes to reach my career objectives.


AD: Hmmm…


AE: And so I feel like I’m already ten steps behind everybody else. By now it seems like everybody has about three or four internships underneath their belt. Everybody has a lot of experience and so that’s why I’m energetic. I’m a sponge and I stay busy because I feel like while I’m sleeping or just watching TV, somebody else is researching companies…


AD: Right!


AE: …or they’re researching something and they could be going after the same position. Somebody is always trying to take your spot! Somebody is always trying to be the next fresh face in the workforce; trying to be the next big thing.


AD: Right.


AE: So I have the constant mindset that while it’s good to relax every now and then, I need to stay busy with school, work, and learning different techniques and going to conferences on how I can make myself better.


AD: What’s interesting is that you may feel like you’re a little behind in terms of internships but you’re way ahead as far as attitude is concerned. You have great work ethic and that’s priceless.


AE: Thank you.


AD: You’re welcome. You treat life like you would one of your games – you might be behind, but it ain’t over ‘til it’s over. So, how did you develop that attitude? Have you always been like that?


AE: A lot of my attitude developed from sports. Just like you said, never give up. Keep going ‘til the whistle blows; even after the whistle blows. You never know what an extra inch or an extra tidbit—a little more push—might do to get you ahead. So, I’m working on the weekends because you never know how much that extra little bit could get you ahead. It could set you apart.


AD: True.


AE: And a lot of my attitude comes from my organization [Phi Beta Lambda]. We teach you not to count yourself out. You have something that they [employers] want. You just have to make it known.


AD: So these days, for you, it’s time to get down to business.


AE: Yes, sir.


AD: Well, speaking of business, your organization is literally all about business. You’re the president of Phi Beta Lambda which is a business fraternity, right?


AE: Yes, sir. It’s a nationally known fraternity that comes out of FBLA which is short for Future Business Leaders of America.


AD: That’s a high school program, right?


AE: Yes. FBLA was first and then they created college and professional versions. That’s where Phi Beta Lambda comes in.


AD: What’s the difference between a business fraternity and a social fraternity?


AE: Basically, a social fraternity or sorority is gender specific, you know male or female, but you have people with all types of majors. My fraternity is strictly for business majors or minors. It’s strictly for enhancing yourself as business leader. We promote workshops and conferences. We give you the techniques you need to become an effective business leader.


AD: What would make a student a good fit for a business fraternity such as Phi Beta Lambda?


AE: Well, from campus to campus each chapter sets its own criteria. In our chapter you have to be a sophomore or above with thirty-one credit hours. We use this standard because we don’t want freshman to join too soon without knowing what they’re getting into. Normally by junior year you know what path you’re going to be on.


AD: True.


AE: You have to have a 2.5 [GPA] or above. After all, academics are important. Even if you don’t have all of the characteristics yet, you have to show some potential for becoming an effective business leader. We’re going to give you the tools. Just show us some passion and dedication about being a business leader. We don’t discriminate. If you’re not sure or don’t know what marketing is, if you don’t know what it’s like in the workplace or don’t know how to dress, then we want to teach you.



"I’ve encountered a lot of my old colleagues and once they graduate they go into the workplace and feel like society owes them something. They owe them this job; they owe them respect. When the reality is nobody owes them anything."



AD: So you want to help people to grow.


AE: Yeah. We want people who have a lot of growing to do. Or even if you’re someone who already knows a lot as long as you’re still willing to grow and be an asset to the organization then we want you to join. Don’t just join to get a t-shirt or just for the name.


AD: So don’t just join to be in the cool club.


AE: Yes, sir. We want people who will represent the organization well. You know, in a business fraternity my brothers and sisters and I all work together and have taken the same classes that new members will be taking and we pass along books and a lot of good info about the classes. And you know books are expensive these days!


AD: True! It sounds like your fraternity takes full advantage of the power of networking.


AE: Oh, yeah.


AD: And it also sounds like you all get your members prepared to handle a lot of the challenges that people will face when they enter the business world. So what are some of the challenges you expect to face? Especially as an African-American woman in the world of business, what do expect to see when you get out there?


AE: From the jump, I expect to have to deal with some of the stereotypical black-woman-black-college-student-you-didn’t-get-a-good-education type of mindsets but that won’t stop me. For some reason, and I don’t know why, too many students graduating from black colleges think that people owe them something. I’ve encountered a lot of my old colleagues and once they graduate they go into the workplace and feel like society owes them something. They owe them this job; they owe them respect. When the reality is nobody owes them anything.


AD: Amen, sista. Amen.


AE: It’s every man for himself.


AD: Or woman.


AE: Yeah. And on top of facing the stereotypical attitudes, I’m also facing an even bigger hurdle because I’m going into sports. I want to go into major league baseball. I want to go into a field where there aren’t a lot of African-Americans or women in general. I love baseball. When I was young my family took me to a lot of the games and what bothers me is that we’ll wear the hats and jerseys but when it comes to going to the games nobody’s there to support our athletes. So, I want to work in major league baseball to bring a different type of marketing and awareness to the African-American community in terms of supporting our athletes.


AD: That’s a big challenge and of course you can handle it.


AE: Yes, sir.


AD: Well, since you’re in the mood for challenges let’s step into another world where women face a lot of challenges: Hip-Hop. There’s a lot of controversy around the way women are portrayed in a lot of Hip-Hop. Is it just business or is there more to it?


AE: Everything is business regardless of what it is. People are out to make money. They’re going to do anything to make money. However, in my opinion if you have to make money by downgrading or disrespecting somebody else that totally goes against my morals and beliefs. You wouldn’t put you mother or daughter…you wouldn’t put anybody in your family on that kind of stage so why would put other women out there?


AD: I hope not. But that’s not true for everybody.


AE: Well, I’m just the type that believes that you have to think about somebody else before you think about yourself. It doesn’t make sense to put somebody down just for you to get ahead. In the end you’re not really getting anywhere.


AD: True. In the words of James Baldwin: “Whoever debases others is debasing himself.”


AE: Yeah, so it’s business, it’s Hip-Hop and they’re making money but you know on the other hand, it’s not what you’re called it’s what you answer to. You have to set the standards of what you’re going to accept for yourself. Yeah...wrong is wrong but everybody doesn’t think like me.


AD: Yeah, and everybody doesn’t have that positive attitude like you. In fact, as we wrap things up, give me one or two things that anybody could do to develop that kind of attitude; that determined, never-give-up-never-quit type of attitude.


AE: A person said something one day that really hit home with me. “You were born an original so don’t live like a copy.” When I heard that it made so much sense to me.


AD: I noticed that’s how you sign your emails.


AE: I’ve heard it two ways actually. I’ve also heard it in Romans 12:2 which basically says don’t go with the flow. Don’t fall into the customs of this world but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.


AD: Woo! That’s what I’m talking about! On that note I’m going to say that you are definitely an original and thanks for giving us a few minutes of your time. We’ll be looking for great things from you in the very near future.


AE: Thank you so much! I had a lot of fun with this interview.


“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Romans 12:2


Congratulations Alicia!


Since I conducted this interview with Alicia back in Oct. 2007 she has started working for the Huntsville Stars—a minor league baseball team in Huntsville, Alabama—as an Account Executive. Her job is to ensure that groups and new clients have an outstanding experience at the stadium. She is well on her way to achieving her career goals.


___________________________________


Hey Students! Would you like to be featured in Elevate U and on the homepage of The Black Collegian Magazine?


I'm looking for successful student leaders and student entrepreneurs to interview for a segment of Elevate U called Inside the Mind. If you are interested then email your BRIEF bio, resume, and photo to Al @ Al The Inspiration Duncan


Related Articles:

Getting in the Game -- Pursuing a Career in Sports

Hip-Hop Students Learn to Study to the Beat

Dr. Rani Whitfield "The Hip-Hop Doc"